Welcome to The Portage County Beekeepers Association website!
Updated on April 27, 2015 by Mary Ann Amoroso
2015 Calendar of Events
- January 15, 2015 7:30pm - Barbara Bloetscher, chief apiarist for Ohio, speaking on the state of the bees in Ohio. Don't forget to pay your 2015 dues (still only $5.00)
- March 19, 2015 7:30pm - Our speaker is Peggy Garnes, director of EAS, and a queen breeder from Medina County, speaking on queens.
- May 17, 2015 2:00pm - The Field Day will be held at Norm Macks, 8259 St Rt 88 Ravenna (about 3 miles north of Maplewood) on May 17 at 2 pm. Bring a lawn chair and a veil.
- July 19, 2015 2:00pm - Summer Picnic. The picnic will be at West Branch Reservoir at Parking lot A shelter #1. Bring your own tableware (dish, eating utensil, glass etc.) your meat ( hamburger or hotdog to cook) and a dish to pass. The club will provide the condiments and drinks. Bee association signs will be out to direct you on Esworthy Rd.
- September 13, 2015 2:00pm - Another field meeting at Norm Macks, 8259 St Rt 88 Ravenna. Bring a lawn chair and a veil.
- November 19, 2015 7:30pm - Speaker info coming later
The Portage County Beekeepers Association
is an organization for the novice and professional beekeepers in
the Portage County Ohio area. Joining is easy. For just $5.00
per year you can enjoy all the benefits of our
organization including our meetings, Field Day and Summer
Picnic. Dues are payable at any of our meetings (see the
During Field Day we have a hands-on learning experience. We open hives, check for the queen, look for warning signs of problem, such as varroa mites or hive beetles, and have many experienced beekeepers ready to answer your questions. You don't want to miss this opportunity.
We have a mentoring program for new beekeepers or anyone who would like some personal help. Feel free to contact any of our mentors from the list on the left.
Thank you for looking and we hope to see you soon.
Updated on August 17, 2014 by Mary Ann Amoroso
Speakers for 2014 and other informationThe Portage County Fair "Honey Judging" is Tuesday, August 19th, everyone is invited to watch.
For the September 19th meeting our speaker will be Dr James Tew, retired specialist for the Ohio State Co-operative Extension Service and Current specialist for the Alabama State Co-operative Extension Service. He is an Author and Researcher and frequent contributor to Bee Culture.
For the November 21st meeting our speaker will be John Grafton, retired state apiarist and inspector.
More information about our meetings are in the calendar at the bottom of this page.
Updated on January 26, 2014
Tracy Alarcon, Portage County Bee Inspector
In 2014 our Bee Inspector for Portage County is Tracy Alarcon. His phone number is 330-396-1352 and his email address is firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or want to schedule a meeting.
Updated on January 1, 2013
Here is the link to Apiary Registration. The price is only $5.00 for a beeyard. You might want to call or email to avoid a late charge (I don't know if there is one, but best to be prepared).
Updated on March 12, 2012
The Portage County Beekeepers Association is looking for a few good men and women for the Calling Committee. What is the Calling Committee? Those are the people who contact you by phone about a week before our meetings as a friendly reminder. As a member of the committee you will be given a list of 5 to 10 names and phone numbers and all you have to do is give them a call. To volunteer, please contact Tracy Alarcon. His phone number is 330-396-1352.